After a four-year absence from the big screen, Will Smith’s Men in Black 3 is expected to make a big $ 75M splash at the box office…..but that’s not as big as Hollywood had hoped. Deets inside….
With the last installment of Men in Black hitting screens ten years ago and Will Smith’s four-year absence from the big screen, a lot is riding on Sony’s worldwide release of MIB this weekend. But sadly, the predictions aren’t saying what Sony and the rest of Hollywood want to here.
The flick is expected to easily beat The Avengers (now in its 4th week of release) and take in $ 75M, but that’s far short of the $ 90M that Sony expected.
Sony wanted a big first week because the movie cost between $ 225M-$ 300M to make. Meanwhile, Will mentioned a Bad Boys 3 is in the works. And he’s rumored to also be prepping for an I, Robot 2 and Hancock 2.
Here’s what the Top Ten will shape up as (based on Friday estimates).
1. Men in Black 3 3D (Columbia/Sony) NEW [4,248 Theaters] PG13
Friday $ 18M, 4-Day Weekend $ 75M
2. Marvel’s The Avengers 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,918 Theaters] PG13
Friday $ 9.5M, 4-Day Weekend $ 45M, Cume $ 523.5M
3. Chernobyl Diaries (Alcon/Warner Bros) NEW [2,433
Friday $ 3.5M, 4-Day Weekend $ 11.5M
3. Battleship (Universal) Week 2 [3,702 Theaters] PG13
Friday $ 2.8M (-69%), 4-Day Weekend $ 13.5M, Cume $ 43.3M
5. The Dictator (Paramount) Week 2 [3,014 Theaters] R
Friday $ 2.6M (-53%), 4-Day Weekend $ 11.5M, Cume $ 43.3M
6. Dark Shadows 3D (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,404 Theaters] PG13
Friday $ 2.1M, 4-Day Weekend $ 9.5M, Cume $ 65.0M
7. What To Expect When You’re Expecting (Lionsgate) Week 2 [3,021
Friday $ 2.1M (-43%), 4-Day Weekend $ 9.0M, Cume $ 24.0M
8. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 4 [1,233
Friday $ 1.8M, 4-Day Weekend $ 9.0M, Cume $ 17.9M
9. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 10 [1,421 Theaters] PG13
Friday $ 625K, 4-Day Weekend $ 2.7M, Cume $ 395.7M
10. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 6 [786 Theaters] PG13
Friday$ 450K, 4-Day Weekend $ 2.0M, Cume $ 88.9M